Do you want to make sure you leave an outstanding impression for your thesis examiners? Of course you do. Making a lasting impression will ensure your thesis is memorable and unique in comparison to the hundreds of thousands that are written and read every single year. To ensure your thesis successfully becomes one for the history books, you need to have a thesis conclusion that stands out and we’ve got the professional tips you need in order to do so.
After all the hard work and research you have put into your thesis, you need to have a thesis conclusion that reflects such. In the same guidelines and structures of the thesis itself, the thesis conclusion also has specific guidelines and structures you will need to follow. Yet, before we dive into what general styles and structures the thesis conclusion should follow, you should understand the purpose of the thesis conclusion.
A thesis conclusion, also referred to as a thesis conclusion chapter, is the final writings of your overall thesis. The conclusion will reaffirm your thesis statement, discuss the issues presented within the thesis, and reach the final judgments made within your research. While your thesis conclusion will provide all of these things, it is not just a final summary of your entire thesis. Instead, it is a final statement based upon the research, reasoning, and evidences you have presented within your thesis.
The thesis conclusion is where you will share with your readers your final thoughts and statements- better yet, conclusions, of your research questions you presented in the beginning of your thesis. Your thesis conclusion will provide a sense of completion to your thesis, stress the importance of your thesis statement, and give your readers a final impression. It is also important to remember that your thesis conclusion will do the following:
- Provide the answers to all of your questions
- Emphasize the study limitations
- Bring together, synthesize, or integrate the various issues within the whole of the thesis while at the same time, reflecting your introductory thesis statement
- Attempt to bring your readers to a new level of understanding or perception in the area of study
- Recommend new ideas or directions of future studies or research
- Identify the policy and theoretical implications of the area of study while still having a respect for such.
Thesis Conclusion Structure
Now that you understand what purposes your thesis conclusion will serve, you can begin to focus on the structure. While there are several ways and variants to structure your thesis conclusion, there are general guidelines that you will need to follow no matter which educational institution you are attending.
- Personal opinions or thoughts based upon the thesis research
- A deduction made upon the main body of the texts
- Including a statement of the limitations of the research in your field of study
- Implications for future researches or studies
- Additional factors or important facts or figures that were not previously mentioned in the overall thesis
Including the above information is recommended by many committees and you will most definitely see these points in any thesis conclusions example you should review or refer to while you are drafting your thesis.
In addition to the main points and structure, you should also be aware of the thesis conclusion length. Due to the fact that every examiner or educational institute will require different guidelines, the following variables will affect the length as well:
The placement of the thesis conclusion- (Some schools require it to be combined within the discussion, while others will want it to be placed in combination with the future directions)
The expected number of elements you will need to include
Your specific field of study
Keeping these determining factors in mind, when it comes to discovering the length requirements of your thesis conclusion, it is best to speak with an advisor or your thesis supervisor to find the appropriate length for your thesis conclusion. You can also refer to highly regarded thesis from previous years so you can get an idea of what is expected of your writings.
Since there are so many variables for the overall thesis requirements, finding a proper thesis conclusion template can be difficult. When you are drafting your thesis, refer to highly regarded thesis from years past to see thesis conclusion examples.
Despite the differences in requirements and structures, the following tips should be kept in mind as you write in order to have a successful and outstanding thesis conclusion:
What should you include?
- As obvious as it may seem, the thesis conclusion must include conclusions to your writings! It is vital to include concluding statements to your main points of discussion and relate it to your main points, aims, objectives, or hypothesis.
- Contributions to the research in your field of study. This can include statements of the significance of what you have found as well as any limitations you have discovered.
- Future researches or ideas or suggestions as to where to go or even where not to go from where your thesis ends.
What Not to Include
- Discussion: the discussion will need to be in the discussion section. If however, your thesis requires it to be combined you will need to provide clear and concise sub-headings to differentiate the two.
- Do not include any points that were not made in the discussion. The conclusion will need to reference the points that were made within the discussion.
- References: the conclusion mainly acts as a review of what you have discussed. References will need to be included in the bibliography.
- Any unnecessary information. Keep your thesis conclusion clear and concise and stick to the points you have made in your discussions.
What you will need to say in your thesis conclusion
What you have learned
What are you most proud of?
What was the hardest part?
How did you solve any difficulties you faced?
Now that you know these professional tips to creating the best thesis conclusion, make it happen. Bring your readers the concise information from your main points and be sure to follow any of your school’s guidelines and refer to highly regarded thesis from previous years. Just be sure to add your own personality into your thesis conclusion and you will be sure to leave a lasting impression.